Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chopped Date Night

My friend Angie and I planned a chopped/food challenge date night! We started with teams, secret ingredients, and specifics. 

 The day of the fun chopped date came, and it was seriously the craziest day EVER! I was in charge of the silent auction for the school fall festival which was so time consuming! I had everything set up and cleaned up before the fall festival so that when I got back, the date night could begin! Luckily, I was able to use my neighbors huge picnic tables and then I decorated with a fall theme!
 The secret ingredients: cilantro, ginger root, jicima, chicken, lime and watercrest! You had to use every single item in your dish!!!
 I was so impressed with Regan because he wanted to make a pesto, and so he researched online a good recipe for watercrest and made the most delicious pesto with watercrest and almonds. Way to go hunny!
The winner of the night was my next door neighbor! We knew he was awesome at making bread, but we had no idea how fast he was! Regan challenged him to make homemade rolls and our time allotment was 1 hour! Wow-he went to town and made delicious rolls in 1 hour!!!! No rhodes rolls here!
 This is the other team's dish...they took a Jamaican jerk approach...good tasting and good presentation!
 But how do you compete with our dish? We had the best homemade rolls, flavored rice, grilled chicken, grilled jicima fries, filo dough with pesto, and a sugar rimmed smoothie....wow, so yummy and so well presented!!
Dessert: my friend, Angie made chocolate bowls from water balloons...she put cut fruit, whip cream and sliced almonds on top! We had sparkling apple cider on the tables as well.

This was seriously the funnest date night I have ever had! It was so funny once we had the ingredients and direction, people just went right into what the knew...someone went to the bbq, someone started researching jicima online, the rolls were going into effect, people were running home to get ingredients that would go well with our ingredients...my roll was seriously to just get whatever people needed from my kitchen since that is where my group was cooking! We will for sure be doing this date night again!

No comments:

Post a Comment