Sunday, June 10, 2012

Utah valley 1/2 marathon

 5:20 am---getting ready to go to the start line!
 feeling amazing as I sprinted to the finish line!
 Scotty decided to run the race the night before because our friend had an extra spot! Way to go Scotty!
 The whole gang at the finish line---we not only survived, but all did very well and felt amazing!

This was my 3rd half marathon in 3 months!
April---Salt Lake City 1/2 marathon
May---Ogden 1/2 marathon
June---Utah Valley 1/2 marathon
I will say that the first 2 races, I didn't really enjoy running the 13 miles...in fact I had really bad energy, negative thoughts, thinking the whole time how I am not a runner, and I don't even like to run. Crossing the finish line was the biggest relief!!
This 3rd time around, I was dealing with some major knee pain and injury! I am destined for knee problems because of genetics. My friend is a physical therapist and helped me so much to strengthen my knee. My left knee is developing bone spurs, and my right knee was inflamed and throbbing pain. I got a cortizone shot the day before the race, and my friend did ultra sound waves and 10s unit. I got my knee taped, wore a knee brace, took ibuprofen, 5 hour energy, gu and chomps. That combination was the recipe for success with this race. Right when I started out, I instantly felt my knee throbbing. At that time, I seriously had no expectation for myself---just to finish the race!
I started out the race with my friend, Melanie and told her my knee was already hurting! As we went down the gorgeous canyon, we passed by the vivian park entrance and every part of me wanted to get off the course and go to my parents cabin! I knew I would regret that, so I ran through the pain. I started to talk to my friend which is not an easy thing for me to do usually. Next thing we know, we were at mile 8 and decided to reward ourselves by listening to our music! Once I started my awesome play mix, I wanted to go faster and faster! I got a sudden burst of more energy and once I was 1/2 mile away from the finish line, I had so much energy, I was smiling from ear to ear, and sprinted as fast as I could and finished this race as strong as I could! wow! Finishing that race with such energy actually made me enjoy the race and enjoy running!! that is a new feeling for me!
All day long, I had so much energy {because of the 5 hour energy!} and thought that I beat the pain that usually accompanies the races. Well, I was wrong...I woke up this morning at 3 am with Emery and could not walk!!  Walking at church in high heels was soooo painful, so even though I ended strong, I did not beat the pain! Now that the 3 races are over, I will need to re think where I want my running career to go...if my knee's continue to cooperate, I will keep running with my running friends at 5:30 am! They have influenced me so much!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats Andrea! Looks like you guys had a really good time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that race is wonderful! I'm so proud of you. Seriously, running is the best thing ever. I wish you well with your knee pain, therapy always helps!! You can heal! Good Luck. I'm so glad to see you ran your first race again. Way to go! I'm glad to hear you didn't end up with a bloody shoe this time!! ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete